AACTE is committed to supporting its members in delivering high-quality school leader preparation programs. The following resources may be useful:
AACTE's Wallace Foundation Grant
Excellent school leadership is essential to school quality, educator satisfaction, and educator effectiveness. In late 2012, the Wallace Foundation, a philanthropic organization that supports efforts nationwide to improve school leadership, awarded AACTE a grant to serve as one of its communications partners for its Principal Pipeline Initiative. In this role, AACTE engages in disseminating research and other resources about education leadership as well as the promising practices emerging from the initiative.
The Principal Pipeline Initiative has provided grants to six school districts—Prince Georges County (MD), Charlotte-Mecklenburg (NC), Denver (CO), New York City, Hillsborough (FL), and Gwinnett County (GA)—to strengthen their local systems' ability to prepare, hire, and continually develop a strong corps of school leaders.
Throughout the course of the grant, AACTE will work with the Wallace Foundation in a variety of capacities to carry out the goal of improving school leadership preparation. For example, AACTE may host webinars or offer sessions at its Annual Meeting related to the work of the initiative.
School Leadership Resources
Several organizations and associations provide resources for research, guidance, and tools that you can use to develop your school leadership course work and ensure programs are effective at meeting the needs of today's PK-12 learners.
- The Wallace Foundation – School Leadership More than a decade's worth of school leadership research.
- University Council for Educational Administration This consortium of higher education institutions is committed to advancing the preparation and practices of effective educational leaders.
- Center for Educational Leadership – University of Washington This center provides support to staff at every level of a school district to improve the principal pipeline.
- National Association of Elementary School Principals NAESP supports elementary school principals with professional development opportunities.
- National Association of Secondary School Principals NASSP provides resources and professional development to school leaders in middle schools and high schools.
AACTE's Principal Preparation Resources
- Leveraging Community Resources to Strengthen Clinical Practice for New Principals: Partnering With Legal and Social Services | 26 March, 2018
- Webinar: Leveraging Community Resources to Strengthen Clinical Practice for New Principals: Investigation Techniques for School Safety | 21 February, 2018
- Webinar: Principals as Transformation Leaders: Support for New Leaders | 19 December, 2017