Home > Policy & Advocacy > Federal Policy and Legislation > Elementary and Secondary Education Act
From: Ed Prep Matters
Deal Struck to Raise FY20 & FY21 Budget Caps
Registration Open: July 2019 Federal Update Webinar
Congress is in for a Long Summer
What Should Educators Keep an Eye on in Washington this Summer?
Massive Spending Bill Passes House with Large Increases for Education
In December 2015, Congress reauthorized the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which authorizes federal programs that support and regulate PK-12 public education. The new law is titled the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). Title II of ESSA, “Preparing, Training, and Recruiting High-Quality Teachers, Principals, or Other School Leaders,” authorizes programs at the local, state, and national levels to support the preparation and professional development of school personnel.
Title II is composed of a state allotment (Part A) and competitive grant programs (Part B). The allotment of Title II-A funds for each state is administered by the state education agency, and 95% of the allotment goes to local education agencies for programming, with the other 5% at the state level for programming. The law offers 16 allowable uses of funds at the local level and 21 allowable uses of funds at the state level. In addition, Title II offers national competitive grant programs: the Teacher and School Leader Incentive Program, Literacy Education for All, Results for the Nation, American History and Civics Education, and Programs of National Significance. Multiple opportunities exist for educator preparation to engage with PK-12 partners and other stakeholders to strengthen and transform programs through the Title II-A grants that go to each state.
Consolidated State Plans in Process
Each state submitted a Consolidated State Plan (CSP) to the U.S. Department of Education in 2017 explaining how they intend to use Title I and Title II funds. To view the status of each state’s CSP, click here.
It is critical that educator preparation professionals remain engaged with state education agencies, PK-12 colleagues, and other education stakeholders to continue to strengthen and reform educator preparation through Title II of ESSA. Review your state’s CSP and get at the table to participate in the implementation of this new law.
Fiscal Year 2020 funding for Title II-A state grants is currently at risk. Keep up to date on the status of funding for Title II-A allotments here. Ready to engage with your representative and senators on this and other funding issues? Register to receive AACTE Action Alerts.
Quick References and Resources
Last Updated May 2019
Staff Contact: Deborah Koolbeck
View more resources