Federal Policy and Legislation
In December 2015, Congress reauthorized the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which authorizes federal programs that support and regulate PK-12 public education. The new bill is titled the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). Title II of ESSA, "Preparing, Training, and Recruiting High-Quality Teachers, Principals, or Other School Leaders," authorizes programs at the local, state, and national levels to support the preparation and professional development of school personnel.
Title II is composed of a state allotment (Part A) and competitive grant programs (Part B). The allotment of Title II-A funds for each state is administered by the state education agency, and 95% of the allotment goes to local education agencies for programming, with the other 5% at the state level for programming. The law offers 16 allowable uses of funds at the local level and 21 allowable uses of funds at the state level. In addition, Title II offers national competitive grant programs: the Teacher and School Leader Incentive Program, Literacy Education for All, Results for the Nation, American History and Civics Education, and Programs of National Significance. Multiple opportunities exist for educator preparation to engage with PK-12 partners and other stakeholders to strengthen and transform programs through the Title II-A grants that goes to each state.
The clock is ticking!
Each state must submit a Consolidated State Plan (CSP) explaining how they intend to use Title I and Title II funds to the U.S. Department of Education by either April 3 or September 18, 2017.
It is critical that educator preparation professionals engage with state education agencies, PK–12 colleagues, and other education stakeholders to continue to strengthen and reform teacher preparation through Title II of ESSA. AACTE encourages members to be proactive to ensure that teacher preparation is at the table throughout the new law’s implementation process. If your state has already turned in its CSP, be sure to review and see if there are opportunities in which you can engage. If the CSP is being submitted in September – get at the table!
Need some guidance on how to get started? Download a quick reference guide here.
Keep up to date on the status of funding for Title II-A allotments here.
Quick References and Resources
- Implementing ESSA In Your State – Quick Reference Guide (AACTE)
- ESSA Consolidated State Plan Template (March 2017) (U.S. Department of Education)
- Consolidated State Plan FAQ (June 2017)
- Transitioning to ESSA - FAQ (U.S. Department of Education)
- ESSA Consolidated State Plans – review state plans that have been submitted and other resources (U.S. Department of Education)
- Everything You Need to Know About the Every Student Succeeds Act (Alliance for Excellent Education)
- ESSA Supports (Center on Great Teachers & Leaders)
- The Every Student Succeeds Act – Resources (CCSSO)
- Understanding ESSA (The Collaborative for Student Success)
- Proposed Alternative to Highly Qualified Teachers (NEA)
- ESSA Authorization of Appropriations Compared to Current Appropriations (NEA)
- Resolution “Taking Action on the Promise of the Every Student Succeeds Act” (AFT)
- ESSA Opportunities (NBPTS)
- ESSA Title II Provisions Webinar (NASSP)
- ESEA Resource Page (NASSP)
- Implementing ESSA Website (NAESP)
Last Updated July 2017
Elementary and Secondary Education Act Related Resources
- May 2017 ESSA Title II-A Funding Letter | 10 May, 2017
- AACTE Response to ESSA Regs Part III Accountability and State Plans | 1 August, 2016
- ESSA Allowable Uses of Funds | 19 February, 2016
- ESSA Conference Report – Title II | 14 December, 2015
- General Summary of Title II | 19 February, 2016
- Webinar Recording: December 2015 Federal Update | 17 December, 2015
- Webinar Presentation Slides: December 2015 Federal Update | 17 December, 2015
- AACTE Commends Congress on ESEA Reauthorization, Urges Responsible Implementation | 14 December, 2015
- ESEA Reauthorization Wins Mixed Praise | 14 December, 2015
- ESEA Reauthorization Bill Released | 14 December, 2015
- Conference Committee Advances ESEA Reauthorization | 14 December, 2015
- How to Begin Implementing ESSA in Your State | 6 July, 2017
U.S. Department of Education
- ESEA Law: “Every Student Succeeds Act” | 14 December, 2015
- Newsletter Subscription for Information About ESSA | 14 December, 2015
- ESSA Webinar Slides - U.S. Department of Education | 5 January, 2016
- National Education Association (NEA) Implementation Resources | 14 December, 2015
Federal Policy & Legislation Resources
- Federal Funding | 10 April, 2017
- Federal Update Webinar | 15 December, 2016
- “Every Student Succeeds Act” Resources | 14 December, 2015
- Teacher Quality Partnership Grants | 28 June, 2013
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act | 4 December, 2011
- AACTE Recommendations, Testimony, and Statements on ESEA | 26 October, 2011
- Diverse Coalition Draws Line on ESEA Teacher Quality | 11 April, 2011
- AACTE Resources on HEA | 4 October, 2008
- AACTE Recommendations for HEA Reauthorization | 15 August, 2008
- Higher Education Opportunity Act | 4 August, 2008