Responses to 2013 NCTQ-U.S. News & World Report Review
National and State Organizations' Responses
- "Literacy Experts Say Reformers Reviving 'Reading Wars'" - Reading Hall of Fame. August 13, 2013.
- Response to the NCTQ Teacher Education Report - Literacy Research Panel. July 2, 2013.
- MACTE Position Statement - Missouri Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. June 2013.
- Debunking NCTQ's "Teacher Prep Review" - California Teachers Association. June 28, 2013.
- CEC Calls Review of Teacher Preparation Programs Necessary, But Inaccurately Reported - Council for Exceptional Children. June 25, 2013.
- LRA Response to the NCTQ Review of Teacher Education Programs - Literacy Research Association. June 21,2013.
- Joint Statement on Release of NCTQ Ratings of Teacher Preparation Programs in Oregon - Oregon University System, Oregon Department of Education, Oregon Teacher Standards and Practicies, Oregon Education Investment Board and Oregon Alliance of Independent Colleges and Universities. June 20, 2013.
- AJCU Statement on the NCTQ Teacher Prep Review Report - Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. June 18, 2013.
- NCTQ Report Card Needs Improvement - National Opportunity to Learn Campaign. June 18, 2013.
- "Inflammatory, Not Explanatory, National Report Fails to Contribute" - State of Washington Professional Educator Standards Board. June 18, 2013.
- Conference on English Education Chair Responds to NCTQ Report - Louann Reid, Chair, Conference on English Education. June 18, 2013.
- Review of teacher preparation programs needs improvement - American Federation of Teachers. June 18, 2013.
- Statement of James G. Cibulka, President of the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), on NCTQ Teacher Prep Review - Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation. June 18, 2013.
- A Review and Critique of the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) Methodology to Rate Schools of Education - Eduventures. June 18, 2013.
- Response to the National Council on Teacher Quality. South Carolina Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. June 11, 2013.
Deans', Professors' and Students' Responses
- "An Open Letter to NCTQ on Teacher Prep" - Donald Heller, Dean of the college of education, Avner Segall, chairman of the department of teacher education, and Corey Drake, associate professor and director of teacher education, Michigan State University. December 10, 2013.
- Debunking Illinois State University's poor review - Vidette Editorial Board, Illinois State University. August 25, 2013.
- Education programs were graded unfairly - Marcy Driscoll, Dean and Director of University Teacher Education, Florida State University. July 16, 213.
- NCTQ Doesn't Know What Works - Jay P. Greene, Chair and Head of the Department of Education Reform, University of Arkansas. July 10, 2013.
- Report doesn't reflect quality of UT programs that prepare teachers - Susan Benner, Director of the Graduate School of Education, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. June 29, 2013.
- "Letter: Concordia teacher ed is effective" Inforum - Michael Wohlfeil, Professor and Interim Chairman of Education Department, Concordia College, Moorhead. June 29, 2013.
- "Questionable School Ratings" - Anne Reeves, Professor and Chair of Education Department, Susquenhanna University. June 28, 2013.
- NSU is producing high-quality teachers - William Rugg, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Northeastern State University. June 28, 2013.
- "Hood says its teacher preparation solid" The Frederick News-Post - Katherine Conway-Turner, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Hood College. June 27, 2013.
- Report concerning teacher quality flawed - Ana Borger-Greco, Professor, Millersville University of Pennsylvania. June 27, 2013.
- Montana State University Response to NCTQ Report - Lynda Ransdell, Dean, Montana State University. June 27, 2013.
- "Wisconsin should take pride in its teacher education" - Barbara Daley, interim dean, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. June 26, 2013.
- UW-Whitewater Response to the NCTQ Report - Katy Heyning, Dean, University of Wisconsin - Whitewater. June 24, 2013.
- Response to National Council for Teacher Quality report - Debbie Mercer, Dean, Kansas State University. June 24, 2013.
- White Paper Resonse to the NCTQ Report - Ric Hovda, Dean, San Diego State University. June 24, 2013.
- A Message from Dean McLaughlin regarding the NCTQ Teacher Prep Review - Virginia McLaughlin, Dean, The College of William & Mary. June 24, 2013.
- College of Education Dean Marquita Grenot-Scheyer's Response to NCTQ report - Marquita Grenot-Scheyer, Dean, California State University at Long Beach. June 24, 2013.
- "Teacher Preparation Report Has More Than a Few Holes" Minnesota 2020 - Michael Peterson, Undergraduate Research Fellow. June 24, 2013.
- A Statement on the NCTQ Teacher Preparation Report - John McDonnell, Dean, University of Utah. June 2013.
- NCTQ to tackle Syria and Obesity Next - Isaac Prilleltensky, Dean, University of Miami. June 22, 2013.
- Open Response from the College of Education to the NCTQ Teacher Prep Review - Glenn Good, Dean, University of Florida. June 20, 2013.
- "Problems with new rating of teacher colleges, point by point" The Washington Post - Linda Darling-Hammond, Charles E. Ducommun Professor of Teaching and Teacher Education, Stanford University. June 20, 2013.
- "Silver Lake College Responds to Teacher Education Ratings by NCTQ" - Sister Kay Klackner, Director of Teacher Education, Silver Lake College, June 20, 2013.
- Holy Family University Refutes National Council on Teacher Quality Study - Holy Family University. June 19, 2013.
- "Stop the Silliness: Let's get seriously about teacher preparation" - Jon Eckert, Professor, Wheaton College. June 19, 2013.
- The Skinny on the NCTQ Teacher Prep Review -Donald Heller, Dean, Michigan State University. June 19, 2013.
- "Teacher-school ratings aren't the last word" - Carine Feyten, Dean, Miami University. June 19, 2013.
- Evaluation or Agenda? -
- The Trouble with NCTQ's Ratings of Teacher-Prep Programs - Aaron Pallas, Professor, Teachers College at Columbia University. June 19, 2013.
- Penn State College of Education Response to the NCTQ Report - College of Education, Penn State University. June 2013.
- Darden College of Education Response to NCTQ Report - Darden College of Education, Old Dominion University. June 2013.
- The Glaring Hypocrisy of the NCTQ Teacher Prep Institution Ratings - Bruce Baker, Professor, Rutgers. June 18, 2013.
- Response to NCTQ - Randy Hitz, Dean, Portland State University. June 18, 2013.
- Observations about 2013 NCTQ Teacher Preparation Review For Louisiana - Jeanne Burns, Associate Commissioner for Teacher and Leader Initiatives, Louisiana Board of Regents. June 18, 2013.
- "Proceed with Caution: New Report Falls Short in Complex Task of Evaluating Teacher Education" The Huffington Post - Michael Feuer, Dean, George Washington University. June 18, 2013.
- GMU College of Education and Human Development Dean's response to NCTQ Review - Mark Ginsberg, Dean, George Mason University. June 18, 2013.
- "Dean disputes methodology in state-by-state analysis of teacher preparation" - Rick Ginsberg, Dean, University of Kansas. June 18, 2013.
- NCTQ Response: The College of Education's commitment to excellence through research, leadership and diversity - Lemuel Watson, Dean, University of South Carolina. June 18, 2013.
- "Why the NCTQ teacher prep ratings are nonsense" The Washington Post - Linda Darling-Hammond, Charles E. Ducommun Professor of Teaching and Teacher Education, Stanford University. June 18, 2013.
- "That NCTQ Report on Teacher Education: F" - Diane Ravitch, Professor, New York University. June 18, 2013.
- IU School of Education response to NCTQ Teacher Prep Review - Gerardo M. Gonzalez, Dean, Indiana University School of Education. June 18, 2013.
- Dean Julie Underwood responds to review of teacher preparation programs - School of Education, University of Wisconsin- Madison. June 18, 2013.
- "Provost's response to teacher education ratings" - Aimee Dorr, Provost, University of California. June 18, 2013.
- "Quality Teacher Education at Syracuse University" - Douglas Biklen, Dean, Syracuse University. June 17, 2013.
- "NCTQ Ranking of Teacher Prep Programs Gets an F" - Ed Fuller, Associate Professor of Edcuation Policy at Penn State Unviersitry. June 17, 2013.
- A Response to the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) Report - Chestnut Hill College. June 17, 2013.
- Statement on NCTQ Teacher Prep Review - College of Education, Michigan State University. June 17, 2013.
- "USC Upstate School of Education Interim Dean's "Advance Response" to NCTQ" - Jim Charles, Associate Dean, University of South Carolina Upstate. June, 12, 2013.
- NCTQ Response - Hollis Lowery-Moore, Dean, Lamar University. June 12, 2013.
- Understanding the College of Education's commitment to quality in teacher education - Ronald Marx, Dean, University of Arizona. June, 2013.
- "Group Rating Teacher Preparation Deserves Close Scrutiny" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Melanie Agnew, Dean, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater; Stewart Purkey, director of teacher education, Lawrence University; and Jeanne Williams, professor, Ripon College. June 7, 2013.
- "National Council on Teacher Quality Claims Uninformed" The Oklahoman - James R. Machell, Dean, University of Central Oklahoma. May 25, 2013
- "SIUE's Response to NCTQ Report" Bette Bergeron, Dean, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. November 9, 2010.
Dwight Watson, dean of the University of Northern Iowa’s College of Education, deemed the National Council on Teacher Quality’s Teacher Prep Review as “problematic” for not making use of the program information it requested. Instead, the review surveyed a different UNI teacher preparation program.“We’re concerned about the shoddiness of the report overall,” said Watson… He is concerned that NCTQ may have relied heavily on UNI’s website to rate the special education preparation program, possibly misinterpreting much of what was found.
- WCF Courier. June, 19, 2013.
But instead of lauding the top rating, the University of California criticized the report's methods. Amanda Datnow chairs UC San Diego’s education studies department... The rankings excluded the school’s program for elementary school teachers, she said, even though the school submitted the same documentation for each of it's teacher preparation programs. “Some of the strengths of our programs – both programs - including the preparation of teachers to teach English language learners and serve diverse students don’t show up in those rankings," she said. "So it’s a bit mystifying how those results were produced.”
- KPBS San Diego. June 19, 2013.
Ed Scantling, Dean of University of Nebraska Kearney, says a team of seven examiners spend a week sitting in on classes, shadowing student teachers, interviewing principals about the quality of student teachers and reviewing materials before awarding the standing. The Teacher Prep Review did none of this. "I would like people to judge us on is the 20,000 teachers we've prepared over the last 100 years. You know, how are those teachers doing in your schools," said Scantling.
- KHASTV Nebraska. June 19, 2013.
"We believe that the analysis of Mansfield's elementary teacher education program was incomplete and included noteworthy inaccuracies," said Provost Peter Keller. "Mansfield is preparing a detailed response for NCTQ that points to evidence of quality and program strengths that were overlooked in its evaluation. Moreover, we have general concerns about the validity of the NCTQ methodology. Many US educators find NCTQ evaluation methodologies flawed."
- Mansfield University News. June 19, 2103.
"What's going to help us is seeing what our students do once they're in a classroom, how much their students are learning, and how much the graduates of our programs are contributing to learning," said Bill McDiarmid, Dean of the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill's education school, said. "I don't want to be defensive -- I'm concerned about what's the data that will help us do a better job, but reports like this don't really help."
- The Washington Post. June 18, 2013.
Randy Hitz, dean of the graduate school of education at PSU, dismissed the findings as baseless. "They are a self-appointed group, and their standards mean nothing to me. Where did they get their information about Portland State? We didn’t give them anything. I don’t know upon what basis they have anything to say about Portland State.
- The Oregonian. June 18, 2013.
“I’m having a hard time understanding how you can judge this institution’s education programs when the only thing you have ever asked me for is syllabi,” said LaTisha Smith, dean of Harris-Stowe State University said. “That’s like my saying can you send me five pictures of your kids and maybe some awards they've won and I’ll make all sorts of judgments about your family, without ever talking to them or talking to your neighbors. I’m still taken aback by this process.”
- St. Louis Beacon. June 18, 2013.
"The biggest issue is that the report largely reports on the inputs instead of the outcomes,” said Dan Mahony, dean of the College of Education, Health and Human Services at Kent State. “Our proof is always in the quality of our graduates, which this report ignores completely."
- Journal Sentinel. June 18, 2013.
Tiffany Hunter, dean of Florida State College at Jacksonville’s education school, said the council mistakenly rated the Jacksonville college on an elementary education program, which she said FSCJ has never had. Despite that, FSCJ received two stars for teaching student outcomes and one star for teaching student assessment and data. Hunter said she sent a rebuttal on Monday, asking how the council could rate the program even though it doesn't exist.
- The Florida Times-Union. June 18, 2013.
"We completely disagree with the assessment and the ranking,” said Perry Schoon, Illinois State University’s dean of the College of Education, who is troubled by how the ratings were determined. The university was given a narrow range of questions to answer, and from that the survey authors drew sweeping conclusions, he said. “We welcome scrutiny; it just has to be credible scrutiny.”
- The Pantagraph. June 18, 2013.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 13:06