Bringing Content Knowledge for Teaching (CKT) Into the Elementary Mathematics Teacher Education Curriculum
Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:00-1:00 p.m. EDT
Learn about incorporating content knowledge for teaching (CKT) into education course work for elementary mathematics in this free webinar with experts from TeachingWorks and Educational Testing Service. You’ll hear about and discuss approaches that can be used to engage preservice teachers with the kinds of content problems they are likely to encounter during their work as a teacher, such as in –
- Selecting appropriate content tasks or materials for a particular instructional goal
- Interpreting students’ work to identify their thinking or possible misconceptions
- Selecting a representation to use when introducing a concept from the curriculum to the class
Presenters will share resources that can be used to help preservice teachers work on and learn about the types of content knowledge used in teaching. Note that a similar webinar, only focused on CKT for elementary English/language arts, will be offered March 29.
- Heather Howell, Associate Research Scientist, Educational Testing Service, University of Michigan
- Nicole Garcia, Chief Program Officer, TeachingWorks, University of Michigan
- Sarah Scott Frank, Elementary ELA Research and Design Specialist, TeachingWorks, University of Michigan
- Geoffrey Phelps, Senior Managing Research Scientist, Educational Testing Service, University of Michigan
Call for Entries: 2018 AACTE Awards
Full call for entries will be available in May
- Outstanding Book Award: May 30, 2017
- Outstanding Dissertation Award: August 18, 2017
Award winners will be honored at the 2018 AACTE Annual Meeting, March 1–3 in Baltimore, Maryland, during the general sessions.
See What You Missed in 2017
Visit the Learning Center to watch video recordings from previous Annual Meetings. Welcome Sessions and Speaker Spotlight Sessions are public, while other recordings are available only to conference registrants.
Future Annual Meetings
- 2018 - March 1-3, Baltimore Convention Center | Baltimore, MD
- 2019 – February 22-24, Kentucky International Convention Center | Louisville, KY
- 2020 – February 28 – March 1, Atlanta Marriott Marquis | Atlanta, GA